Calculus Lab Notes
Lab 1: Latex And Maple
The first part of Lab 1 is here:
Here is a sample document with errors for our second meeting:
The second part of Lab 1:
Lab 2: The Spirograph!
- The Lab Questions (PDF format)
- The Lab Questions (.tex file)
- Figure 1 (Circles.eps)
- Figure 2(a)
- Figure 2(b)
- A Sample Lab Write Up
- Grading Worksheet: Lab 2
Lab 3: Clairaut's Theorem
- Chapter 14 of Stewart:
Continuity, Partial Derivatives, Tangent Planes and Gradients
- Lab 3 Questions (in PDF)
- Lab 3 (in LaTeX)
- Grading Checklist for Lab 3
- Some Related Notes
- Related Notes, LaTeX format
Lab 4: The Solar System
- Lab Questions
- Animation Example in Maple
(Right-Click on this link and choose "Save Link As..."
- Solar System Data (From UCAR in Boulder, CO)
- One link to
The Great Conjunction
- Here are some LaTeX notes about typing in an array of values,
and how to put multiple plots on a single figure:
- Grading Checklist for Lab 4
Lab 5: Ants on a Doughnut
- Lab Setup (in PDF)
- Maple Sample 1:
Constructing the Torus and Sample Paths 1 and 2 (SampleDoughnut.mws)
- Maple Sample: Path 3
- Maple Sample: Path 4
- Grading Checklist Be
sure to note your smallest path length! Prize awarded on December 6/7.
Misc. Maple Notes
- Additional Notes on
the Maple Interface. This is a rather large file- If you
want to keep a copy, download it and save it to your Math Lab
account (I'll take it down in a couple of weeks).
Misc Latex Notes
- How to Insert a Figure into LaTeX
(a PDF file)
- To print your document: Right-click the DVI file, and
choose to open it with KDVI. The KDVI viewer will have a print
I want LaTeX on my own computer!
If you want to install LaTeX on your personal computer running
Windows, there is an installation CD available in the lab- If
you borrow it, please return it!!
For more info, you can go to
the TeX User's Group (TUG)
website; the software package is called "proTeXt".
This CD contains everything you need- LaTeX itself
(the version is called MiKTeX), a choice of editors (TeXnicCenter,
which is free, and a 30-day trial of WinEdt), and it also
has the software needed to view/print PostScript files.
Please do not download the program onto the Math Lab
computers- It is a rather large package!
Math Lab Information Here, you will find information on such things as:
- How to share files between you and your partner (Look at
"Using sftp to Transfer Files Between Accounts"
- How to get/put information on a floppy drive (we don't use Windows, we use an operating system called "Linux", so this is different than you're used to...
Look at "Using Windows Formatted Floppies"