Math 467 Numerical Analysis Spring 2005
Homework Assignments: (Listed by date assigned)
- Jan 18:
- Implement the Matlab code for the Riemann sum of a function using
(a) Left hand heights, (b) Right hand heights
- Problems 2, 8 on p. 8-9
- Jan 19:
- Problems 2, 3, 6, 7 on p. 13 (Base conversions)
- Problem 9, p. 17
- Quiz 1- Online, turn in on Friday
- Jan 21: Read Cleve Moler's article. Problem 5, 11 p. 24
- Jan 25: What is zero? What is 1? Taylor's Theorem (with Remainder)
- Jan 27: (Solving Linear Systems) Prepare an algorithm to
solve linear systems of equations
- Jan 28: Finish the algorithms in Matlab (Meet in the Math Lab)
- Feb 01: Work through the Least Squares examples in Matlab.
The Worksheet is HERE
- Feb 03: See Friday's lab
- Feb 04: Friday lab is here
- Feb 08: Still working over 3.4 and 3.5-Let's finish this week!
- Feb 10: In Class Problems. Work
through as much as you can, we'll try to finish Chapter 3 on Tuesday.
- Feb 11: Finish up Last Friday's Lab.
- Feb 15: Finish up the In Class Problems.
- Feb 17: Introduce Chapter 4: Polynomials. HW: Read Lagrange Polys
for the Lab.
- Feb 18: Lab Day on Polynomials, Vandermonde
Matrices, and Errors.
- Feb 22: Work on your lab. Let's try to finish up on Friday.
Here are our new in-class problems
to start working on.
- Feb 24: Work on the in-class problems.
- Feb 25: Finish up the lab from last Friday (Due Tuesday)
- Mar 01: Global polynomial approximation (Summary and orthog polys)
- Mar 03: Finish up orthog polys, start on cubic splines
- Mar 04:
Lab on Cubic Splines and Orthog Polynomials. The data
set is HERE as unknown1.mat. This
contains vectors $xt$ and $yt$.
- Mar 8: Numerical Differentiation (6.1) Exercise 4, 7 for Thursday.
Exercise 3 will be done in class. Also, write a script file that
will implement the 3-point formula for derivatives.
- Mar 10: Fire Alarm went off today-
- Mar 11: Lab Due Today.
- Spring Break!
April 1st Lab: Legendre Polynomials and Quadrature.
- April 8th: Continue with the April 1st Lab
- April 15th Lab: Roots and Newton's Method
- Apr 15-Apr 29: Solving Nonlinear Equations and Minimizing Functions
Chapter 1 Links
Chapter 2 Links
Chapter 3 Links
Chapter 5 Links
Chapter 7 Links
Final Exam Links
DEADLINE: TUESDAY MAY 17th
Misc Links on Solving ODEs
Death and Destruction from bad Numerical Analysis