Math 225: Calculus III, Spring 2009
Textbook: The text we will use is "Calculus (with Early
Transcendentals)", by James Stewart, 6th Edition. If you absolutely
must use an old edition, it is up to you to match up the homework
and sections- It can be quite an inconvenience.
Here is the publisher's website in case you want the ISBN numbers.
Look for Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 6th Edition (you may
need the ISBN if you're trying to find it used).
Why are we not using the online textbook? It has been my own
experience that you should not only have an excellent text
to learn from, but also to keep on your bookshelf.
Chapter 10 (Parametric Curves and Polar Coordinates)
Chapter 12 (Vectors)
- Section 12.2: Group Work (Moon Pies) and the
second page here
- Add to Friday, Jan 30 HW (Work problems): Exercise
26 on p. 777 (also look at Example 6, p. 776) and Exercise 45, p 785.
- Section 12.4: Work problems 43 and 44 instead of 41 (we won't be asking
anything about torque, but will be working with distances).
- Update Thursday, Feb 5 We won't
use anything to replace the missing 12.7 (We'll cover it later).
- Quiz 3 (Group quiz)
(size of the file abt 1MB)
Looking for a review of Calc I
stuff? Here is a summary sheet
Review materials: Exam 1
Materials for Exam 2
NOTE: Exam 2 will be given at 5:30PM in Olin 340-342
on Thursday, March 12th.
There will be no class on Friday morning. You may (should)
bring a calculator (for those max/min problems especially).
Exam 2 Solutions
Handouts for Chapter 15
Handouts for Chapter 16
Materials for Exam III
- Scheduled for Monday, Olin 130, 6-8PM, Bring calculator. No class on Tuesday morning. I'll be in the office about 4PM for last minute questions.
- Recommended Exercises, Chapter 15 Review
- True/False: 1, 2, 3, 7
- Exercises: 3, 5, 7, 9-10, 12-14, 17-18, 20-21, 26-27, 30-31, 39, 45-47, 49. For
better problems like 46, see page 999, Exercises 33, 34.
- Recommended Exercises, Chapter 16 Review
- True/False: except 7
- Exercises: 1-19, 21, 25, 30, 37 (delete 38)
- Quiz 11 (blank if you want to try it again)
- Quiz 11 Solutions
- Homework Solutions, Sections 16.6 and 16.7 (Skip 13, 17, 27)
- Selected Solutions from the Chapter Reviews
Information for the Final Exam
- Be sure to review your old exams, old quizzes. Look
over the Chapter reviews (especially to decide on what to put
on your card)
- You may use a 3"x5" card of notes (both sides). I will provide
the formulas that I have provided for past exams/quizzes (formulas
for curvature, tangential and normal components of acceleration,
center of mass)
- You should bring a calculator.
- The 8AM section is scheduled to take the exam
from 2-4PM. The 9AM section is scheduled to take the exam
from 9-11AM. (Both sections: In our usual classroom).
- Final Exam review questions